Speed dating amiens

Posted by / 07-Dec-2015 00:22

Speed dating amiens

In 1667, Douai was taken by the troops of Louis XIV of France, and by the 1668 Treaty of Aix-la-Chapelle, the town was ceded to France.During successive sieges from 1710 to 1712, Douai was almost completely destroyed by the British Army.Its site probably corresponds to that of a 4th-century Roman fortress known as Duacum.From 10th century the town was a romance fiefdom of the counts of Flanders.In 1609 the English College published a translation of the Old Testament, which, together with the New Testament published at Rheims 27 years earlier, was the Douay-Rheims Bible used by Anglophone Roman Catholics almost exclusively for more than 300 years.For a time there was a Carthusian monastery (charterhouse) in Douai, which is now the Musée de la Chartreuse de Douai.

One face is built in Gothic style, while the other is of Classical design.By 1713, the town was fully integrated into France.Douai became the seat of the Parliament of Flanders.Connected with the University were not only the English College, Douai, founded by William Allen, but also the Irish and Scottish colleges and the Benedictine, Franciscan and Jesuit houses.The Benedictine priory of St Gregory the Great was founded by Saint John Roberts at Douai in 1605, with a handful of exiled English Benedictines who had entered various monasteries in Spain, as the first house after the Reformation to begin conventual life.

speed dating amiens-64speed dating amiens-72speed dating amiens-30